Dec 3, 2006

Funny Old Day

ShellAfter getting to bed quite late last night, Iwas expecting Eloise to have a huge lie in, and if you call 8 o'clock a huge lie in, you would have been delighted. Me, I was groggy.

We pootled around for a while then went to the beach where as usual we paddled. I threw a chewed ball for Tiny precisely three times, on the third time she looked on, deciding if it had gone too far into the creek, as it sank from view not to be seen again.

The tide was quite low, so I hitched Shorty's dress up and we marched over to a sand island about thirty meters from the short, having removed any articles of clothing (from her) which might have come a cropper. The water came up to her tum but she didn't mind a bit.

She showed a very healthy interest in sea shells, picking them up, washing them in the water, then depositing them in my pockets.

Time ticked on, and she started to get tired so home we came, stopping off on the way to get milk, orange juice and (yes, Nicole) ice cream, which I saw out of the corner of my eye whilst looking for the OJ.

Eloise fell asleep in the car, and as usual when this happens, when put to bed at home slept for about ten minutes before waking up again and wanting up.

So we spent the afternoon keeping busy, doing housework, gardening, painting, etc until four o'clock when she started to get stroppy and was put to bed about half an hour later in a foul mood. Soon she was asleep and I finished another Tom Holt book, which again was... odd. Robert Ludlum next, which stands an outside chance of being entertaining.

She woke up about 5.30 and I thought about getting tea in, but the sky was extremely grey and soon we realised that a storm would be rolling in, so we went outside to experience it. As we were waiting we could hear a strange hissing noise approaching from the distance which I assumed was wind, but it dawned on me at the last minute that it was actually rain - I grabbed Eloise and whisked her under cover as the rain went from Zero to Heavy in two seconds flat. Then of course I realised that on washing line number two were the nappies, so I got soaked to the skin (not difficult, I didn't have a t-shirt on) bringing them in.

After tea in the bath Eloise discovered the joy of tennis balls in enclosed spaces.

So it's been a bit odd really in non-routine, disjointed, weeding kind of way.

I am pretending that Nicole is working a long day. A very long day. She texted me this morning from Singapore. I think the swimming pool was closed, so she and Chris are drinking beer instead. Quelle surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment