Apr 24, 2008

Swimming, Sipping, Smoking, Swearing

Shadows in the Smoke Eloise was woken up by Nicole creeping around at some unearthly hour this morning so we shook our collective legs and were out walking the dogs at the brook by 8am.

Misbehaviour on the hell-hound's part meant she went on the lead while we played on the playground, which she wasn't very happy about.

Then off to swimming for the first solo session.

Eloise has now graduated to the Big Pool and is in a group of three with one instructor. She was terribly excited as her swimming hat and goggles were put on, and remained terribly excited throughout the session.

I spent the early part talking to a Mum whose sprog will be in Eloise's group. Turns out she worked in Ipswich (England) at Vision Express doing locum optometry, in 1993-1994. She probably tested my eyes. She didn't remember though, which I think is a pretty poor show.

Anyway various activities took place in the pool which I didn't really follow as I sipped my coffee. Sarah the instructor took it easy with Eloise as this was her first go with the Big Girls, but I did see some discipline meted out when E wouldn't stand on the table or cling to Sarah's back properly.

But all in all she had a good time.

That is, until she was caught running round the edge of the pool and sternly reprimanded which had her taken aback.

Still by way of celebration and encouragement, and in the spirit of positive reinforcement, I allowed her a milkshake and a slice of tart on the mountain, which she enjoyed.

On the way down a pall of smoke hung over the road as some controlled burning was being done. It smelled quite nice; eucalypts have quite a distinctive aroma when burning, sort of spicy and exotic. And the forest looked quite different with grey clouds drifting through it.

We were held up by a bloke in a uniform for a bit. "That man's holding his hand out. Why?" demanded the ever-curious one, just as a socking great tree fell over up ahead. "Oh" she said.

Later, after failing to sleep, we went to the camera shop to replace my poor lens. The traffic was horrific. It's Anzac Day tomorrow so everyone's going on holidays for the long weekend.

In town on the way back some clever fellow walked out in front of us as we were chugging along. I called him a choice name from the safety of my cockpit.

"What's a Fudwit?" asked Eloise as my hand rushed belatedly to cover my mouth.

"Never mind...."

"Are you having fun?"

"No. Are you?"

"No. You're making me unhappy. I don't deserve you."

How right she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment