Mar 12, 2008

New role

I had my first day with the research nurses today. It wasn't quite what I was expecting but I enjoyed it anyhow. I thought I had applied for annual leave cover but it seems that these next four weeks are a trial to see how I get along and if all is well then it will become a permanent fixture to my week.

The morning was spent getting my computer access upgraded and running through my role. It sounds as if I am going to be collating data for the Australian Bone Marrow Registry. Every tranplant recipient has a unique number allocated to them and information about their disease, transplant and any complications from treatment is collected and sent to the national register. It is a case of manually going through medical notes and computer records to find pertinent information.

It is not something you could do everyday but I think I will be learning alot about the classification of diseases, their treatments and outcomes. I think it will definitely enhance my nursing documentation as I will understand kind of information people are interested in. I had no idea that people outside of the ward periphery relied on what is written in the notes.

Okay, you can all wake up now I have finished being a nursing geek!

No comments:

Post a Comment