Feb 5, 2008

Ouch Ouch and a Wiggly Ouch

Accidents Will Happen I dropped Nicole off at the pub for a leaving do which she was attending, after a day during the course of which Eloise had been at Nursery and we had waded around Mount Coot-tha which was absolutely inundated to the point where Simpson's Falls was actually a raging torrent and several of the paths were now creeks.

I picked Eloise up on the way back from dropping Nicole off and we were playing bubbles in the kitchen area (for the detail-hungry and unimaginitive amongst you this is a game involving me blowing bubbles, and she catching them) when to my horror - my sphincter is contracting at the thought of it - she tripped and hurtled headlong onto the coffee table, belting herself on the eyebrow.

I picked her up in a great hurry and was aghast to see a huge swelling there already although the skin hadn't split. She was screaming her head off, which I took to be a good sign.

I'll admit to a moment of panic. I didn't want to overreact though so I took her over to see Val to get a second opinion and as I slowly calmed down took her back to apply frozen peas, fish fingers, or anything cold. She wouldn't have frozen stuff so we settled on a teatowel with cold water and arnica.

Meanwhile, having been unable to contact Nicole to get a third opinion, I decided to drive down and present her with the patient as I thought that a trip to the hospital might well be in order. So, with Val riding shotgun, off we went. Eloise by this time had gotten over her shock and seemingly also her pain, and was actually quite jolly, which I was perversely a little concerned about. If there'd been a swelling that size on my bonce I'd have been pretty upset I think.

And what better triage committee than a bunch of cancer nurses in a pub, who seemed either to think that they had no relevant expertise or that it was certainly nasty looking but not life threatening.

We ended up in hospital anyway after Nicole got through to the equivalent of NHS Direct who sent us down there because the swelling was so near the eye.

So we were in the Childrens' Hospital for an hour and a half or so during which Eloise was triaged, assessed by a nurse and seen by a doctor who sent us home with instructions to wake Eloise every two hours to make sure she was still all together.

Keeping quiet today then, because we haven't had a good night's sleep and because I really don't want to jiggle her noddle around, we skip music and go to the beach where we flit in the bay on the board and look at seaweed.

And in the afternoon - she won't sleep at lunchtime - we play with Youtube and she surfs the Wiggles. And yes, she does know how to use a mouse.

And she hasn't complained about her eye once.

No comments:

Post a Comment