Feb 13, 2008

Historic Day

Woodland Glade We woke up this morning to find children's TV had been cancelled and instead we were treated to PM Kevin Rudd making an apology to the Aboriginal people of Australia who let's face it got the bum end of the colonial deal and the bum end of pretty much everything that happened since.

So I, with my pretentions to adult sensibilities, found the whole thing moving in a dignified kind of a way, and Eloise found that she wanted to switch off the telly and listen to her new CD from the music lesson people.

A historic day for my poor wide-angle lens which came with my camera which became terminally inoperable after I slipped on a wet rock at Mount Coot-tha whilst climbing adventurously around the remains of last week's (and last night's) rain. Oooops. Still, on the bright side, it was crap (it came with the camera after all) and I ordered a new one the other day anyway.

I went up to a rainforest in the afternoon and walked a few km to a nice lookout, from which I had a commanding view of a raincloud, whose load made my walk back a little difficult. On another bright side, I didn't get snagged by any spider webs on the way back. On the gloomy side, that's because I'd walked through them all on the way up. On another gloomy side, I found I had three leeches on my legs.

The strange thing about horror and the panic that goes along with it was that even as I was scrabbling away at these slippery little bastards that were apparently (but probably not really) burrowing into my leg-flesh, a voice in the back of my head was delivering very measured and sensible instructions like "if you use a sock you'll get better grip" and "a little blood goes a long way, doesn't it?"

I picked up Eloise from Nursery where she was complimented on her dextrous fine-motor skills and on being able to hold a pen correctly. We then picked Nicole up, and Eloise started to complain of a sore tum.

And it turned out not to be hypochondria as she vomited copiously after supper, and then again when she went to bed. This of course caused a short-lived period of consternation as vomiting is a bad sign after a head trauma, but we decided that nine days later would be a little long.

The other historical point of note is that we found out that Matthew and Sam, mainly Sam, have had a baby girl who they have called Violet. So congratulations to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment