Feb 8, 2008

It Raineth, It Poureth

Stream at Mount Coot-tha Water flows at Mount Coot-tha, and on Wednesday with Eloise back at nursery and eye much improved, we went up there for a quick scout around.

Water was still flowing down paths, little rivulets running into gullies and channels across the steps. And Simpson's Falls, always or at least until last week a mere trickle, was still a massive cataract roaring down the rocky mountainside.

I thought I'd drive up to Bellthorpe State Forest later on to take a look at Stony Creek which looks quite nice, but the radio warned of incoming storms from the West and further thunder and rain coming down from the North so I decided that discretion was the better part of valour and came home with my exhaust pipe between my wheels.

And, as the radio told stories of 100mm of rain in half an hour in South Brisbane and threatening looking clouds on my right hand shoulder I picked Eloise up from Nursery, making it back into the car to weather the torrent in slow traffic as the roads filled with cars and water.

And the reports came in over the airwaves of kids with inflatable dinghies on Kedron Brook, cars floating down the streets at Capalaba (I think) and roads flooded to bonnet depth at Mt Gravatt.

Of course I didn't see any of this, and by the time I got home it had stopped raining.

Still they're saying that the drought is over, perhaps prematurely, though of course the water restrictions probably won't be lifted, there's a certain amount of fuss on the Gold Coast that the restrictions there aren't being lifted even though Hinze Dam, their reservoir, is 100% full and overflowing.

Yesterday and today the weather has been lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment