Jun 9, 2007

The Feet On My Legs Go Round and Round

Ferry All day long.

Life without car... hmmm. Lots of cycling. Like yesterday, for instance. Eloise had to go to nursery. Can't be that bad, I thought, Nicole does it every day. And actually, it wasn't that bad. It was a bit chilly - and Eloise wouldn't wear a cardigan or a coat, whingeing "I don't like it, I don't like it"- and the wind chill factor was exacurbated by the fact that it's downhill most of the way, but we were down there in about twenty minutes. The last bit was a real struggle, a very steep hill, which I had to walk the bike up, but isn't that why they're called push-bikes?

Afterwards, I had to go and get some photos printed up as I've got another interview for this college next Friday. I decided to go somewhere "proper." And as I was half way there I cycled down into the city. Well, to be slightly more accurate, I had to cycle down then up then down again then up again then along and then up then down to the city. It was quite hard work. And I got sort of lost. A bit.

After visiting the proper printing shop, I rode across Story Bridge and stopped a while to look down at the river and the boats traveling underneath.

Then across to Kangaroo Point where I sat on top of the cliffs, wind gusting, and watched the river down below and the skyscrapers of the city across it.

I pedalled down underneath the Captain Cook Bridge and along the South Bank then across the Victoria Bridge and up through the City, whereupon I became a little disorientated and decided I didn't really know the best way home.

So I made an executive decision and went to Roma Street Parklands and picked up the way home there.

I got back around 1 o'clock, somewhat knacked. Nicole had just done her last night so we'd hatched a crazy scheme whereby we would ride into the City (yes, yes) to a cinema that was still showing 28 weeks later.

So, while Nicole was waking up, I walked the dogs, and soon we were on our way with half an hour to get there and hopein our hearts.

Half and hour later, hope was fading fast as we were nowhere near the cinema, in fact we were realising that we each thought it was in a different place, oh, and we didn't know where we could park our bikes either. A friendly courier chap told us just to find a pole to chain them to, no worries!

So we chained the bikes to some railings and made a token effort to at least find the cinema, a feat in itself, which we duly arrived at only fifty minutes late. Then we retired for coffee, tired, hungry and disappointed.

We picked up Eloise on the way back, after picking up our bikes again, minus Nicole's light which some blinkin tealeaf had half-inched.

We arrived home tired, hungry, dissapointed and angry.

Today Nicole slept in til eleven (yes, eleven) in the morning.

We have had visitors for tea. Claire from Nicole's work and her family have been round. They have two girls, five and nine, and they have had lots of fun with Eloise. Chaos has ruled.

Speaking of chaos, if you're wondering about the storms, they haven't been anyway near here. It's been windy today and brass monkeys. For brass monkeys read probably 15 degrees. It's that wind-chill factor, see.

No comments:

Post a Comment