Jan 1, 2008

Happy New Year

I agreed to work on Christmas Day as the staffing at work is not good at the moment. I agreed to this on the suggestion that I might be able to swap my late shift to an early shift on New Year's Eve. Anyway when push came to shove the staffing was even worse and I agreed to work an E12 (07:00 - 19:30) - 4 hours overtime - but atleast I got to be at home earlier than anticipated.

Since New Year's Eve 1999-2000 Neil and I have given up the going out to a pub and standing around talking to people that you can't even hear as the music is so load business and I have cooked us a nice meal at home. Neil stepped up to this tradition and so I arrived home after my 12 hour shift to a huge slab of steak with roast potatoes, asparagus and a melange of other sauted vegetables with a white sauce. It was a lovely surprise and now I know Neil does roasted potatoes so well I am hoping I'll be treated more often.

We were hoping to go to our vantage point on top of the reservior in Wilston to watch the early display of fireworks at the South Bank at 9 0'clock but the weather here has been cool and raining. Fireworks were cancelled on the Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast and Ipswich, Queensland due to low pressure winds and Brisbane were possibly going to cancel at the very last moment weather depending. We heard the fireworks from the comfost of our living room. Not so exciting but definitely drier.

We got Eloise off to bed about 10 o'clock. We watched Help! The Beatles film. I was exhausted from working two 12 hour shifts in a row. Neil woke me just before midnight. I watched the fireworks on the telly from Melbourne and promptly fell back to sleep again.

The ward has been really hard just recently. I guess it is due to the fact that we send everyone who is well enough home to be with their families. It is sad enough dealing with people who are newly diagnosed, relapsed or palliative at any time of the year but at this time of the year it seems even harder.

I have put in my CV to the research nurses to cover whilst someone is annual leave.

The permanent residency is coming along. We are waiting for out UK police checks to come through later this month. Then I guess a decision will be may made shortly after that. So, I guess we may be off to New Zealand later on this year.

My parents are coming out to see us in May. Our only visitors so far...

Anyway, I wish you all a very happy and healthy 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment