Oct 16, 2007

Acts of human kindness

Last Thursday I was cycling home at break neck speed as Rachel and Gavin were sleeping over before the trip to Lamington National Park. Half way up Kedron Brook Road I heard a thump on the road and when I searched my bag my mobile phone was missing. I walked back down the road to find only my bike lock but no mobile. When I got home I called it from Neil's mobile - no answer. Well, that's the last I see of that then. I got on the phone to Telstra to cancel the SIM. Neil's phone rang and a lovely lady was calling from my phone which she had found on the street by the hospital. I drove down and collected and had to resrain myself from giving her a huge hug. How very charitable.

By complete contrast, this afternoon I was driving back from Eloise's music lesson and decided to pop into the library to collect a book I reserved for book club. I pulled into a space outside the library facing the oncoming traffic (this will become apparent why I am telling you this shortly). As I was getting Eloise out of the car the old boy parked in front of me got out and thanked me for blocking him in. I looked at the space between our cars and the one behind him and said he had plently of room. As I continued he told me that I wasn't allowed to park into the direction of oncoming traffic and pointed out how everyone else was parked in the correct direction. I just shrugged my shoulders and carried on. When Neil and I were studying for our driving licences I do not recall any such rules. He then said "what country do you come from anyway?". By this point I had had enough and ever the diplomat resorted to the lowest form of wit and replied "one where we park on the wrong side of the road apparantly". He had obviously had all his humour removed and didn't see the funny side and started shouting "scum bag" at me! I just grabbed Eloise by the hand and hot footed it into the library. Luckily for me he had managed to get out of the awfully tight spot I had left him in. What a charmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment