May 27, 2007

Book club

I have joined a book club here in Brisbane. I found it on meetup.com - well of course I found it on the internet. This was the second time they had met. I thought I'd be really nervous about meeting up with a bunch of people that were strangers but it was okay. Neil and Eloise saw me off on the bus and off I toddled into the city.

We met in a coffee house in West End called The Three Monkeys. We had been there a couple of months ago for lunch before an osteopath appointment and it helped knowing exactly where I was heading.

My mum always reckoned that the book club in England was more of a wine group that discussed books. I have to admit I was a little concerned to hear they were meeting in a coffee shop. To my surprise, one of the other of group members came with a bottle of red wine and spare glasses. Everyone else was driving so I was able to be a good samaritan and help him out.

The book club is meeting on the last Friday of every month and will be discussing two books each time; one main stream and the other a little quirky. The first book was Nineteen minutes by Jodi Picoult and the other Jitterbug perfume by Tom Robbins. I managed to finish the first earlier that afternoon whilst Eloise was napping. I have recently read My sister's keeper and had little expectations. Everyone had told me how good this novel was but I thought it okay. Everone seemed to agree that it was a good beach novel but not a great literary work of art. I had only picked up the second book from the library a couple of days ago so I have only just got going.

No comments:

Post a Comment