Dec 31, 2008

Rock Climbing

Smoke Over the Glass House Mountains Whilst Eloise has been at Nursery and I've been off, I've indulged in a couple of little trips.

Generally I've dropped her off and explored the other side of Mount Coot-tha which features leg-buggering descents down to pleasant paths around the Gap Creek reserve and rather gentler but longer climbs back up to the ring-road.

Then in the afternoon last Wednesday I decided to take my life in my hands and climb Mount Tibrogargan, recommended for "experienced walkers only." Well I'm experienced at walking, I've been doing it for a while.

I was good for the first couple of kilometres which were pretty steep but manageable. The problem came when I got to the first rock-face which looked a bit daunting but felt worse with my big backpack full of gear and a tripod hanging off my belt.

But all these young people (ha) kept coming down saying "it's not that bad" or "it's awful" and people kept on coming up and saying "it's not that bad" before haring up there or saying "it looks awful" and turning around and going back down.

So anyway I climbed up the damned thing for another twenty meters or so getting over the next lip to a near place to sit where I could see over the trees and I sat up there, looking at the mountain stretching up and above me and thought enough's enough now how the hell do I get down again.

Luckily there was someone there to tell me where to put my feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment